Thursday, May 03, 2007

Giving Something Back to the Community


I know many business people who are all too prepared to contribute something back to their community and indeed it is something that I like to do too. The same skills that make us successful in our chosen enterprises can be invaluable to any number of organisations and charities.

For example, I am a community governor at the John O’Gaunt Community Technology College in Hungerford and have been for some four years now. Essentially you perform the role of critical friend and act much like a board of non executive directors would in a business.

I chair the Curriculum and Assessment Committee, responsible for amongst other things, the setting of targets for attainment as required by Government. I am also the Link Governor for English.

This week is Link Visit Week and earlier today I met with the Acting Head of English, a very capable teacher, Mike Cowdry, to explore how the department is perfoming and what the future holds. Fascinating stuff and an honour to be able to contribute to that future.

My late father, Taffy Morgan, was a governor at the school in the 1980s - when I also put in a considerable number of hours there - as a pupil.

The BBC has an excellent guide to becoming a governor which has some good advice on what to do and where to go - of course if you want to be a governor at John O'Gaunt, email me via my website and I would be delighted to help!


No comments: