Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MP becomes Shadow Minister just days after visit to Newbury Business Group - mere coincidence?


No sooner does the Newbury MP Richard Benyon come to West Berkshire's foremost networking organisation, the Newbury Business Group, than he is promoted to the Shadow Front Bench.

On Friday he was a mere Whip, keeping the Opposition in shape - and then Monday he is promoted to the important role of Environment Minister!

Richard Benyon told the Newbury Weekly News' website, Newbury Today:

“I am delighted to have been given this challenging role and I look forward to doing what I can to support fishing, farming and other aspects of the rural economy.

“I have really enjoyed my time in the Whip’s office, I learned a lot about how Parliament works but it’s good to move to a shadow ministerial role to see how policies affect people and taking through important pieces of legislature.”

Now, he didn't mention his visit to Newbury Business Group in his comments, but surely it cannot have been far from his mind?! Could his visit to the high profile group of business owners and entrepreneurs have influenced the Leader of the Opposition in his reshuffle?

With my Newbury Business Group chairman's tongue firmly in cheek, I have to conclude we may never know...

No comments: